29 April, 2011

Musical Repertoire

Just for fun, I'm gonna list all the songs in my musical repertoire that are, as of right this moment (because it evolves constantly over time), currently a part of my practice regimen. I practice guitar for at least an hour every day, and I perform at various local open stages - currently there are two I go to, which happen to be on the same night. A while ago I had a set of songs I practiced regularly each night, but as I've been learning more and more songs, I've reached a point where I have enough under my belt that I can afford to be a lot more loose in my practice setlist.

Now, when it comes to performing these songs in front of an audience, there are some that I play more often than others, for a multitude of reasons. Some of these songs are more fun for me to play, some of them suit my playing (and singing) style better, some are better crowd pleasers than others, some I'm simply better at playing, and some are 'incomplete' in that I don't know all of the guitar solos (which I will hopefully take the time to learn someday). And of course, there are a ton of songs that I won't list here that I either half-know, or that I used to play in the past - and might be able to pull out if pressed, though I'd be concerned about remembering both how to play it (more so if there's a lead involved), as well as how to sing it (I am desperately in need of a real singer to accompany me whenever I perform in public...).

I will list these not in alphabetical order either by song title or artist name, which would be the obvious choice, but in thematic chunks, both because that makes them easier for me to remember, and also because that's generally how I play them, so it will better reflect what my practice setlist would be like (provided I stood there and played all the songs listed - and if I did, I think I could probably fill close to a two hour time slot, if not more).

Here we go...

Blues:

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - Stepping Out
John Mayall's Bluesbreakers/Otis Rush - All Your Love (I Miss Loving)
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Red House
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Leave My Girl Alone

Rock:

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water
Black Sabbath - Wicked World
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
The Doors - Roadhouse Blues
Neil Young - Rockin' In The Free World
Neil Young - Cowgirl In The Sand

Less Distortion:

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man
Tom Petty - Mary Jane's Last Dance
Tom Petty - Good Enough
The Rolling Stones - Angie

Featured Artists:

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - Man Of The World
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - Jumping At Shadows
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - The Green Manalishi
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - World Keep On Turning
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - Black Magic Woman

Robin Trower - Too Rolling Stoned
Robin Trower - Day Of The Eagle
Robin Trower - Bridge Of Sighs
Robin Trower - I Can't Wait Much Longer

Ten Years After - I'm Goin' Home Intro/Love Like A Man
Ten Years After - Good Morning Little Schoolgirl
Ten Years After - You Give Me Loving

Leftovers:

Big Brother & The Holding Company - Piece of My Heart
Derek And The Dominos - Layla
The Runaways - Cherry Bomb
Pink Floyd - Have A Cigar

Rare Plays:

The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed
Roy Buchanan - The Messiah Will Come Again

No comments:

Post a Comment