14 September, 2023

Religion and Politics

I'm caught in a bit of a tough situation, because I'm conscious of the fact that I don't want to court the reputation of being a judgmental bastard who never has anything to say except to rant about how much I hate people whose religious or political beliefs I don't agree with... but on the other hand, I feel my concerns are justified, and I've been told I'm good at articulating my thoughts (as long as I have time to write them out), and I feel that simply remaining silent only serves to allow the current state of affairs to continue uncontested ("evil to prevail" and all that). So, even though it doesn't really accomplish anything, I thought maybe I'd post some of my thoughts here so at least I could feel like I've got them off my chest.

I. Religion

As an atheist, my belief - which the Constitution entitles me to hold - is that this life is the only one I've got. So when your religion preaches about purity and sin, influencing secular society to adopt gymnophobic and sex-negative attitudes (to say nothing of the propagation of repressive, conservative stereotypes that crush the human spirit), and fueling the passions of fundamentalist busybodies who want to stick their nose in other people's business and pass laws forcing everyone's behaviors to adhere to their beliefs, on the authority of YOUR holy book (whether you personally support their agenda or not), know that you are condemning me to hell on earth, with no promise of any kind of reward after death. So if I look at you like you're a demon, know that it's because that's exactly what you are.

II. Politics

Enough of this bullshit where if you don't LIKE something, you try to argue that it's dangerous to expose kids to it. It's the pettiest way imaginable to try to get laws passed. Conservatives are doing a lot of it right now. I have no doubt that liberals have been guilty of doing the same thing. I don't care WHO is doing it, it's wrong. In this country, we have freedom of choice. You don't have to like other people's choices, you just have to keep your nose out of their business. If queer identities are harmful to kids, THEN SO IS YOUR CHURCH. You don't get to have it both ways. And you know what the difference between liberals and conservatives is? Liberals might argue that religion abuses kids (which, by the way, it actually does), but they're not passing laws trying to repeal the First Amendment. That's exactly what conservatives are trying to do. Why? Because their beliefs are so fucking fragile that they can't handle a single person in society looking and acting differently than they do. P.S. Queer identities are NOT harmful to kids. Repressing those identities is what's harmful to kids. This is scientifically documented fact (not to mention common sense). Deny it, and you don't just look like an idiot, you look like the kind of hypocrite who enjoys beating kids while telling them it's for their own good. That's you. Or, if you vote Republican, that's who you're handing power to. And I'm asking you to please stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment