15 December, 2008

'Tis The Season To Be Spending (or Bling-A-Ling-A-Ling A-Bling-Bling-Bling)

It's not officially Christmas until you're mall-hopping in the snow. I took the Lincoln out tonight because the van's dying. Taking a snazzy unfamiliar car Christmas shopping - this takes me back to the infamous days of the ZoSoCar back in '01, where I did the exact same thing. Well, this obviously wasn't as revolutionary (ZoSo had a lot to do with the revolutionariness of that past experience), but it is a bit nostalgic. Christmas shopping is still a pain in the ass, though.

I was thinking about it, and yeah, the whole consumerist thing is pretty stupid, but I don't think that's the part I hate most about the whole game. It's all the guessing and the secrecy. I suppose other people will have different opinions, but they way I feel, I'd rather gift-giving be a spontaneous thing than a planned surprise. Instead of going out alone, shopping for other people, Christmas should be a time where people shop together, and if something jumps to one person's eye, one of the other people in the group can buy it for him/her as a gift. That way, they're getting something you know they like, and you get to spend time together so it becomes more personal than handing over a box and saying goodbye. And plus, I would hope that in this case, shopping would become more of a fun, relaxing activity, than the hectic, stressful dash for the goods that it seems to often be.

Bah humbug, all the same.

1 comment:

  1. As much as I prefer solo pursuits.... that shopping idea of yours.... is more than a little bit genius. It just out and out radiates with christmas spirit. We must get the word out to the people. I think it would be very popular.

    ReplyDelete