22 January, 2009

"Congratulations"

This is a pet peeve of mine - when a person says "congratulations" in response to a photo I took that they like. On flickr, of course. I mean, "congratulations"? Is it really worth congratulating me for picking up a camera, pointing it at something, and pressing a button? Sure, I like to think that most of my photos involve more thought and work than simply pointing and shooting, but "congratulations"? It just doesn't sound right.

Of course, I've been running into a lot more foreigners online than I ever would have just strolling about the neighborhood. So I have to consider the possibility that some (or most, or all) of these people don't speak English as their first language. And you know what? I used to think I was pretty lenient about that sort of thing. You know, they're struggling with the language - give them the benefit of the doubt. But you talk to enough of them, and the horrendous grammar and usage really wears down on you. I mean, especially for a person who's already pretty finicky about those things in the first place.

Ah well, I figure it's something I'll just have to deal with. I don't want to be a xenophobic prick or expect everyone to be able to speak well the language that just happens to be my primary one, you know? But I have to be honest, it does bug me a little at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment