22 January, 2009

Silent 'H'

While we're on the topic of pet peeves, I just hate it when people spell my name wrong. It bugs me when they pronounce it wrong, but at the very least, I can forgive them, because it's an unusual name - and besides, with my (legal) last name, I've gotten used to people mispronouncing my name, anyway. But when I'm on the internet, and people address me as "zarth", I do a mental facepalm. I mean, my name is written right there above your comment (or whatever - it's never too far away), so there is /no/ excuse for you to misspell it, except either extreme laziness or terrible short-term memory (in which case the only excuse for not double-checking is again, extreme laziness). When I address a person by name on the internet, though it doesn't happen that often, I try to make a point to, at the very least, spell their name correctly, since it's so incredibly easy to just look and make sure you have it right.

It's not like I ever say anything, because I'm not the kind of person to make a fuss over some pointless little detail that doesn't even really amount to much. But come on, there's no excuse for excising the first 'h' from my name in type.

P.S. Neither of the two h's in my name is silent!

No comments:

Post a Comment